- 1 GATE Exam Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering
GATE Mechanical Syllabus 2020 PDF is updated. The People who are appearing for the GATE 2020 can check the GATE Mechanical Engineering Syllabus. GATE 2020 Mechanical Syllabus is essential for the contestants to crack the exam easily. The score obtained in the GATE Exam helps the students to grab the admission in various Post Graduate Programmes such as M.E, M.Tech, MS, and Ph.D. etc. Applicants need to prepare in a proper manner to get a good score in the exam. Before going to start the preparation, Check the GATE 2020 syllabus for Mechanical Engineering Pdf and get the topics to be prepared. Go through the entire article to get GATE 2020 Mechanical Syllabus along with GATE Mechanical Engineering Exam Pattern and GATE Study Material for Mechanical.
|GATE Mech Exam Date is 2nd, 3rd, 9th & 10th February 2020|
GATE Exam Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering
Are You Preparing for GATE Exam 2020? Then check the latest GATE Mechanical Syllabus 2020 to know the new parameters. GATE Syllabus Mechanical has various disciplines like Mechanical Engineering and Engineering Mathematics. Subject wise GATE Syllabus 2020 Mechanical is listed below. Aspirants can check out the Mechanical GATE Syllabus and prepare accordingly. Also, download GATE syllabus for Mechanical Engineering 2020 PDF.
GATE 2020 Exam Date for Mechanical is 3rd February. Therefore now you have very less time for preparation. So prepare all the topics included in GATE Mechanical Syllabus which are having high weightage. Firstly, Secure grip on all fundamentals of the subjects and after that assess yourself by taking GATE Mock Tests. Also, Check GATE Mechanical Previous Year Question Papers along with GATE Mechanical Syllabus.
GATE 2020 Exam Pattern for Mechanical
|Subject Name||No.of Questions||Marks||Duration|
|General Aptitude||10||15||3 Hours|
|Mathematics + Mechanical Engineering Subjects||55||85|
|Total||65 Questions||100 Marks|
GATE Mechanical Exam Pattern 2020:
Type of Exam:
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)
- Numerical Type Questions
Multiple Choice Questions:
- 1/3 negative marking for 1-mark Questions
- 2/3 negative marking for 1-mark Questions
Numerical Answer Type Questions:
- NO Negative Marking
< < How to Prepare for GATE 2020? > >
Syllabus of GATE Exam for Mechanical Engineering
The Question Paper of GATE Exam 2020 for Mechanical Engineering will have different sections. The Complete GATE Mechanical 2020 Syllabus with Topics is listed below. Have a glance at the below provided GATE 2020 Mechanical Engineering Syllabus and prepare accordingly.
Section 1: Engineering Mathematics
- Matrix algebra
- Systems of linear equations
- Eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
- Functions of single variable
- Limit, continuity, and differentiability
- Mean value theorems
- Indeterminate forms
- Evaluation of definite and improper integrals
- Double and triple integrals
- Partial derivatives
- Total derivative
- Taylor series (in one and two variables)
- Maxima and Minima
- Fourier series
- Divergence and curl
- Vector identities
- Directional derivatives
- Line, surface and volume integrals
- Applications of Gauss
- Stokes and Green’s theorems.
- First order equations (linear and nonlinear)
- Higher order linear differential equations with constant coefficients
- Euler-Cauchy equation
- Initial and boundary value problems
- Laplace transforms
- Solutions of heat, wave and Laplace’s equations.
- Analytic functions
- Cauchy-Riemann equations
- Cauchy’s integral theorem and integral formula
- Taylor and Laurent series.
Probability and Statistics:
- Definitions of probability sampling theorems, conditional
- Sampling theorems
- Conditional probability
- Mean, median, mode and standard deviation
- random variables, binomial, Poisson and normal distributions.
- Numerical solutions of linear and non-linear algebraic equations
- Integration by trapezoidal and Simpson’s rules
- Single and multi-step methods for differential equations.
[Also, Check GATE 2020 Key for all Branches]
Subjects of GATE Mechanical Syllabus
Section 2: Applied Mechanics and Design
- Free-body diagrams and equilibrium
- Trusses and frames
- virtual work
- kinematics and dynamics of particles and of rigid bodies in plane motion
- Impulse and momentum (linear and angular) and energy formulations, collisions.
Mechanics of Materials:
- Stress and strain, elastic constants, Poisson’s ratio Mohr’s
- Mohr’s circle for plane stress and plane strain thin cylinders; shear force and bending
- thin cylinders shear force and bending
- shear force and bending moment diagrams
- ending and shear stresses
- deflection of beams
- torsion of circular shafts
- Euler’s theory of columns
- energy methods
- thermal stresses
- strain gauges and rosettes testing of materials with
- testing of materials with universal testing machine
- testing of hardness and impact strength.
Theory of Machines:
- Displacement, velocity and acceleration analysis of plane mechanisms
- dynamic analysis of linkages
- gears and gear trains
- flywheels and governors
- balancing of reciprocating and rotating masses
- Free and forced vibration of single degree of freedom systems, effect of damping
- vibration isolation
- critical speeds of shafts.
- Design for static and dynamic loading
- failure theories
- fatigue strength and the S-N diagram
- principles of the design of machine elements such as bolted, riveted and welded joints
- shafts, gears, rolling and sliding contact bearings, brakes, and clutches, springs.
Mechanical Engineering GATE Syllabus 2020
Section 3: Fluid Mechanics and Thermal Sciences
- Fluid properties
- fluid statics, manometry, buoyancy, forces on submerged bodies, stability of floating bodies
- control-volume analysis of mass, momentum, and energy
- fluid acceleration
- differential equations of continuity and momentum Bernoulli’s equation; dimensional analysis; viscous flow of
- Bernoulli’s equation
- dimensional analysis
- viscous flow of incompressible fluids, boundary layer, elementary turbulent flow, flow through pipes, head losses in pipes, bends, and fittings.
- Modes of heat transfer
- One-dimensional heat conduction, resistance concept and electrical analogy, heat transfer through fins
- unsteady heat conduction, lumped parameter system, Heisler’s charts
- thermal boundary layer, dimensionless parameters in free and forced convective heat transfer, heat transfer correlations for flow over flat plates and through pipes, effect of turbulence
- heat exchanger performance, LMTD and NTU methods
- radiative heat transfer, StefanBoltzmann law, Wien’s displacement law, black and grey surfaces, view factors,
radiation network analysis.
- Thermodynamic systems and processes
- properties of pure substances, behaviour of ideal and real gasses
- zeroth and first laws of thermodynamics, calculation of work and heat in various processes
- second law of thermodynamics
- thermodynamic property charts and tables, availability and irreversibility thermodynamic relations.
- thermodynamic relations.
- Air and gas compressors
- vapour and gas power cycles, concepts of regeneration and reheat.
- Air-standard Otto, Diesel, and dual cycles.
Refrigeration and air-conditioning:
- Vapour and gas refrigeration and heat pump cycles
- properties of moist air, psychrometric chart, basic psychrometric processes.
- Impulse and reaction principles, velocity diagrams, Pelton-wheel, Francis and Kaplan turbines.
Topic Wise GATE Mechanical Syllabus
Section 4: Materials, Manufacturing, and Industrial Engineering
- Structure and properties of engineering materials, phase diagrams, heat treatment, stress-strain diagrams for engineering materials.
Casting, Forming and Joining Processes:
- Different types of castings, design of patterns, moulds, and cores
- Solidification and Cooling riser and gating design.
- Plastic deformation and yield criteria
- fundamentals of hot and cold working processes
- load estimation for bulk (forging, rolling, extrusion, drawing) and sheet (shearing, deep drawing, bending) metal forming processes
- principles of powder metallurgy
- Principles of welding, brazing, soldering and adhesive bonding.
Machining and Machine Tool Operations:
- Mechanics of machining
- basic machine tools
- single and multi-point cutting tools, tool geometry and materials, tool life and wear
- economics of machining
- principles of non-traditional machining processes
- principles of work holding, design of jigs and fixtures.
Metrology and Inspection:
- Limits, fits, and tolerances
- linear and angular measurements
- gauge design
- form and finish measurement
- alignment and testing methods
- tolerance analysis in manufacturing and assembly.
Computer Integrated Manufacturing:
- Basic concepts of CAD/CAM and their integration tools.
Production Planning and Control:
- Forecasting models
- aggregate production planning
- materials requirement planning.
- Deterministic models
- safety stock inventory control systems.
- Linear programming
- simplex method
- network flow models
- simple queuing models, PERT and CPM.
GATE Mechanical Engineering Syllabus & Chapter Wise Marks Weightage
|Strength of Materials||7||13||7||9|
|Theory of Machines and Vibrations||8||9||12||9|
|Refrigeration and Air Conditioning||2||2||3||2|
Direct link to get GATE Mechanical Syllabus 2020
Click the below link to download GATE Mechanical Syllabus 2020 PDF at Free of Cost.
Visit our site www.entranceexam.io regularly to get entrance exams syllabus.