- 1 IIT JAM Syllabus
- 1.1 JAM 2018 Syllabus – jam.iitd.ac.in
- 1.2 IIT JAM Syllabus Pdf & Exam Pattern
- 1.3 jam.iitd.ac.in Biological Science Syllabus Pdf
- 1.4 IIT JAM Biotechnology Syllabus
- 1.5 JAM IIT Chemistry Syllabus Pdf download
- 1.6 Download IIT JAM Geology Syllabus Pdf
- 1.7 jam.iitd.ac.in Mathematics Syllabus
- 1.8 JAM Mathematical Statistics Syllabus 2018
- 1.9 IIT JAM Physics Syllabus 2018 Pdf Download
IIT JAM Syllabus 2018 Pdf download link will be available here. Aspirants who are preparing for the exam can download IIT JAM 2018 Syllabus through online. Also, check the exam pattern along with Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics Syllabus for Joint Admission Test for M.Sc. (JAM).
IIT JAM Syllabus
Are you looking for the direct link to get Syllabus for Joint Admission Test for M.Sc? This is the finest gateway to grab the prescribed copy of IIT JAM Syllabus 2018.
Candidates have to approach in a well-defined way to crack the exam effectively. If aspirants have clear idea regarding IIT JAM Syllabus and concerned topics of the course subjects, then the preparation for the Entrance Exam becomes smooth. Engineering Graduates who want to pursue M.Sc/P.hD from a premier IIT’s or IISc must have look for IIT JAM 2018 Syllabus. So, applicants have to download IIT JAM Syllabus Pdf through the direct link provided below.
JAM 2018 Syllabus – jam.iitd.ac.in
|IIT JAM Syllabus Pdf|
|Name of the Conducting Body||IIT Delhi|
|Exam Name||Joint Admission test for M.Sc Programme|
|Level of Exam||National Level|
|Exam date||February 2018|
IIT JAM Syllabus Pdf & Exam Pattern
The IIT JAM (Joint Admission Test for Masters) is an entrance exam for the admission into M.Sc and other Post B.Sc programs at Indian Institute of Technology (IITs) and Indian Institute of Science (IISC), Banglore. The officials will soon invite the application forms through online mode. Candidates who are willing to appear for the exam have to fill & submit the application form before the deadline. After the successful registration for the exam, candidates can start your preparation with the help of IIT JAM Syllabus 2018. So, we have provided the syllabus through the below sections on this page.
IIT JAM Exam Pattern 2018
- JAM Exam will have seven test papers namely Biological Sciences (BL), Biotechnology (BT), Chemistry (CY), Geology (CG), Mathematics (MA), Mathematical statistics (MS), Physics (PH).
- The duration of the exam for each paper is 2 hours 30 minutes.
- JAM Exam is conducted in online mode only.
- Candidates can appear for one or two test papers by paying an additional fee for the second paper.
- Each paper consists of three sections. Section A, Section B & Section C.
- Section A consists of 30 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) carrying one or two marks each.
- Each question has four choices out of which only one choice is the correct answer.
- Candidates have to mark the answers by clicking on the correct choices.
- Section B consists of 10 Multiple Select questions (MSQ) carrying 2 marks each.
- MSQ is same as that of MCQ but the only difference is that there may be one or more correct answers out of four given choices.
- Aspirants have to mark the answers by clicking on the choices.
- Section C consists of Numerical Answer Type Questions carrying one or two marks each.
- For NAT questions, candidates have to enter the real number through virtual keyboard on the monitor.
- There will be no choices for the questions.
- In all sections, there will be zero marks for unattempted questions.
- In section A, there is a negative marking.
- For 1 mark questions, 1/3rd of the mark is reduced where as the 2/3rd mark is deducted for 2 mark questions.
- In Section B& C, there is no negative marking and partial marking.
[Download IIT JAM Admit card 2018]
jam.iitd.ac.in Biological Science Syllabus Pdf
- General Biology: Taxonomy of plants and animals; pro-and eukaryotic organisms; cell organelles and their function; multicellular organization; general physiology; energy transformations; internal transport systems of plants and animals; photosynthesis; respiration; regulation of body fluids and excretory mechanisms; reproductive biology; plant and animal hormones and their action; nervous systems; animal behavior; plant and animal diseases; Mendelian genetics and heredity; basics of developmental biology; biology of populations and communities; evolution; basic principles of ecology; genesis and diversity of organisms
IIT JAM Syllabus Pdf 2018
- Basics of Biochemistry, Biophysics, Molecular Biology: Buffers; trace elements in biological systems; enzymes and proteins; vitamins; biological oxidations, photosynthesis; carbohydrates and lipids and their metabolism; digestion and absorption; detoxifying mechanisms; nucleic acids; nucleic acid metabolism; nature of gene and its function; genetic code; synthesis of nucleic acids and proteins; regulation of gene expression; operons. Structure of biomolecules; intra and intermolecular forces; thermodynamics and kinetics of biological systems; enzyme mechanisms and kinetics; principles of X-ray diffraction; IR- and UV- spectroscopy; analytical and biochemical techniques Microbiology, Cell Biology and Immunology: Classification of microorganisms and their characterization; nutrient requirement for growth; laboratory techniques in microbiology; pathogenic microorganisms and disease; applied microbiology; viruses and fungi; microbial genetics; cell theory; cell architecture; types of chromosome structure; cell division; biochemical genetics- inborn errors of metabolisms; innate and adaptive immunity, antigen antibodies; principles of processes of development.
- Mathematical Sciences: Mathematical functions (algebraic, exponential, trigonometric) and their derivatives (derivatives and integrals of simple functions); permutations and combinations; basic probability and volumetric calculations
IIT JAM Biotechnology Syllabus
Biology (10+2+3 level)
- General Biology: Taxonomy; Heredity; Genetic variation; Conservation; Principles of ecology; Evolution; Techniques in modern biology.
- Biochemistry and Physiology: Carbohydrates; Proteins; Lipids; Nucleic acids; Enzymes; Vitamins; Hormones; Metabolism; Photosynthesis. Nitrogen Fixation, Fertilization, and Osmoregulation; Nervous system; Endocrine system; Vascular system; Immune system; Digestive system, Reproductive System.
- Basic Biotechnology: Tissue culture; Application of enzymes; Antigen-antibody interaction; Antibody production; Diagnostic aids.
- Molecular Biology: DNA; RNA; Replication; Transcription; Translation; Proteins; Lipids; Membranes; Gene transfer.
- Cell Biology: Cell cycle; Cytoskeletal elements; Mitochondrial; Endoplasmic reticulum; chloroplast; Golgi apparatus; Signaling.
- Microbiology: Isolation; Cultivation; Characterization and enumeration of the virus; Bacteria; Fungi; Protozoa; Pathogenic micro-organisms.
IIT JAM Syllabus 2018 – Chemistry (10+2+3 level)
- Atomic Structure: Bohr’s theory and Schrödinger wave equation; Periodicity in properties; Chemical bonding; Properties of s, p, d and block elements; Complex formation; Chemical equilibria; Coordination compounds; Chemical thermodynamics (first and second law); Chemical kinetics (zero, first, second and third order reactions); Photochemistry; Electrochemistry; Acid-base concepts; Stereochemistry of carbon compounds; Inductive, electrometric, conjugative effects and resonance;
- Chemistry of Functional Groups: Hydrocarbons, alkyl halides, alcohols, aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, amines and their derivatives; Aromatic hydrocarbons, halides, nitro and amino compounds, phenols, diazonium salts, carboxylic and sulphonic acids; Mechanism of organic reactions; Soaps and detergents; Synthetic polymers; Biomolecules – amino acids, proteins, nucleic acids, lipids and carbohydrates (polysaccharides); Instrumental techniques-chromatography (TLC, HPLC), electrophoresis, UV-Vis, IR and NMR spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, etc.
IIT JAM Mathematics Syllabus Pdf – (10+2 level)
- Relations and Functions,
- Mathematical Induction,
- Complex numbers,
- Linear and Quadratic Equations,
- Sequences and Series,
- Cartesian System of Rectangular Coordinates,
- Straight lines and Family,
- Conic Sections,
- Permutations and Combinations,
- Binomial Theorem,
- Exponential and Logarithmic Series,
- Mathematical Logic,
- Three Dimensional Geometry,
- Vectors, Stocks,
- Shares and Debentures,
- Average and Partition Values,
- Index numbers,
- Matrices and Determinants,
- Boolean Algebra,
- Limits and Continuity,
- Application of Derivatives,
- Definite and Indefinite Integrals,
- Differential Equations,
- Elementary Statics and Dynamics,
- Bill of Exchange,
- Linear Programming,
- Application of Calculus in Commerce and Economics.
IIT JAM Physics Syllabus 2018 Pdf – (10+2 level)
- Physical World and Measurement,
- Laws of Motion,
- Energy and Power,
- Current electricity,
- Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism,
- Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Current,
- Electromagnetics Waves,
- Dual Nature of Matter and Radiations,
- Atomic Nucleus,
- Solids and Semiconductor Devices,
- Principles of Communication,
- Motion of System of Particles and Rigid Body,
- Mechanics of Solids and Fluids,
- Heat and Thermodynamics,
JAM IIT Chemistry Syllabus Pdf download
- Basic Mathematical Concepts: Differential equations, vectors, and matrices.
- Atomic Structure: Fundamental particles. Bohr’s theory of hydrogen atom; Wave-particle duality; Uncertainty principles; Schrodinger’s wave equation; Quantum numbers, shapes of orbitals; Hund’s rule and Pauli’s exclusion principle.
- Theory of Gases: Kinetic theory of gases. Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution law; Equipartition of energy.
- Chemical Thermodynamics: Reversible and irreversible processes; First law and its application to ideal and nonideal gases; Thermochemistry; Second law; Entropy and free energy, Criteria for spontaneity.
- Chemical and Phase Equilibria: Law of mass action; Kp, Kc, Kx and Kn; Effect of temperature on K; Ionic equilibria in solutions; pH and buffer solutions; Hydrolysis; Solubility product; Phase equilibria–Phase rule and its application to one-component and two-component systems; Colligative properties.
- Electrochemistry: Conductance and its applications; Transport number; Galvanic cells; EMF and Free energy; Concentration cells with and without transport; Polarography.
- Chemical Kinetics: Reactions of various order, Arrhenius equation, Collision theory; Theory of absolute reaction rate; Chain reactions – Normal and branched chain reactions; Enzyme kinetics; Photophysical and photochemical processes; Catalysis.
IIT JAM Syllabus – ORGANIC CHEMISTRY
- Basic Concepts in Organic Chemistry and Stereochemistry: Isomerism and nomenclature, electronic (resonance and inductive) effects. Optical isomerism in compounds containing one and two asymmetric centers, designation of absolute configuration, conformations of cyclohexanes.
- Aromaticity and Huckel’s rule: Mono and bicyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
- Organic Reaction Mechanism and Synthetic Applications: Methods of preparation and reactions of alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, arenas and their simple functional derivatives. Mechanism and synthetic applications of electrophilic aromatic substitution. Stereochemistry and mechanism of aliphatic nucleophilic substitution and elimination reactions. Mechanism of aldol condensation, Claisen condensation, esterification and ester hydrolysis, Cannizzaro reaction, benzoin condensation. Perkin reaction, Claisen rearrangement, Beckmann rearrangement and Wagner-Meerwein rearrangement. Synthesis of simple molecules using standard reactions of organic chemistry. Grignard reagents, acetoacetic and malonic ester chemistry.
- Natural Products Chemistry: Introduction to the following classes of compounds-alkaloids, terpenes, carbohydrates, amino acids, peptides and nucleic acids.
- Heterocyclic Chemistry: Monocyclic compounds with one hetero atom.
- Qualitative Organic Analysis: Functional group interconversions, structural problems using chemical reactions, identification of functional groups by chemical tests.
IIT JAM Chemistry Syllabus Pdf – INORGANIC CHEMISTRY
- Periodic Table: Periodic classification of elements and periodicity in properties; general methods of isolation and purification of elements.
- Chemical Bonding and Shapes of Compounds: Types of bonding; VSEPR theory and shapes of molecules; hybridization; dipole moment; ionic solids; Structure of NaCl, CsCl, diamond, and graphite; lattice energy.
- Main Group Elements (s and p blocks): Chemistry with Emphasis on group relationship and gradation in properties; Structure of electron deficient compounds of main group elements and application of main group elements.
- Transition Metals (d block): Characteristics of 3d elements; oxide, Hydroxide, and salts of first row metals; coordination complexes; VB and Crystal Field theoretical approaches for structure, color and magnetic properties of metal complexes.
- Analytical Chemistry: Principles of qualitative and quantitative analysis; acid-base, oxidation-reduction, and precipitation reactions; use of indicators; use of organic reagents in an inorganic analysis; radioactivity; nuclear reactions; applications of isotopes
Download IIT JAM Geology Syllabus Pdf
- The Planet Earth: Origin of the Solar System and the Earth; Geosphere and the composition of the Earth; Shape and size of the earth; Earth-moon system; Formation of continents and oceans; Dating rocks and age of the Earth; Volcanism and volcanic landforms; Interior of earth; Earthquakes; Earth’s magnetism and gravity, Isostasy; Elements of Plate tectonics;
- Geomorphology: Weathering and erosion; Transportation and deposition due to the wind, ice, river, sea, and resulting landforms, Structurally controlled landforms.
- Structural Geology: Concept of stratum; Contour; Outcrop patterns; Maps and cross sections; Dip and strike; Classification and origin of folds, faults, joints, unconformities, foliations, and lineations,; shear zones. Stereographic and equal area projections of planes and lines; computation of true thickness of beds from outcrops and bore-holes.
- Paleontology: Major steps in the evolution of life forms; Fossils; their mode of preservation and utility; Morphological characters, major evolutionary trends and ages of important groups of animals – Brachiopoda, Mollusca, Trilobita, Graptolitoidea, Anthozoa, Echinodermata; Gondwana plant fossils; Elementary idea of vertebrate fossils in India.
- Stratigraphy: Principles of stratigraphy; Litho-, Chrono- and biostratigraphic classification; distribution and classification of the stratigraphic horizons of India from Archaean to Recent.
IIT JAM Syllabus – Geology (GG)
- Mineralogy: Symmetry and forms in common crystal classes; Physical properties of minerals; Isomorphism and polymorphism, Classification of minerals; Structure of silicates; Mineralogy of common rock-forming minerals; Mode of occurrence of minerals in rocks. Transmitted polarized light microscopy and optical properties of uniaxial and biaxial minerals.
- Petrology: Definition and classification of rocks; Igneous rocks-forms of igneous bodies; Crystallization from magma; classification, association, and genesis of igneous rocks; Sedimentary rocks – classification, texture, and structure; size and shape of sedimentary bodies. Metamorphic rocks – classification, facies, zones, and texture. Characteristic mineral assemblages of pelites in the Barrovian zones and mafic rocks in common facies
- Economic Geology: Properties of common economic minerals; General processes of formation of mineral deposits; Physical characters; Mode of occurrence and distribution in India both of metallic and non-metallic mineral deposits; Coal and petroleum occurrences in India.
- Applied Geology: Ground Water; Principles of Engineering Geology.
jam.iitd.ac.in Mathematics Syllabus
- Sequences and Series of Real Numbers: Sequence of real numbers, Convergence of sequences, bounded and monotone sequences, convergence criteria for sequences of real numbers, Cauchy sequences, subsequences, Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem. Series of real numbers, absolute convergence, tests of convergence for series of positive terms – comparison test, ratio test, root test; Leibniz test for convergence of alternating series.
- Functions of One Variable: Limit, continuity, intermediate value property, differentiation, Rolle’s Theorem, mean value theorem, L’Hospital rule, Taylor’s theorem, maxima, and minima. Functions of Two Real Variables: limit, continuity, partial derivatives, differentiability, maxima, and minima.
- Integral Calculus: Integration as the inverse process of differentiation, definite integrals, and their properties, fundamental theorem of calculus. Double and triple integrals, change of order of integration, calculating surface areas and volumes using double integrals, calculating volumes using triple integrals.
- Differential Equations: Ordinary differential equations of the first order of the form y’=f(x,y), Bernoulli’s equation, exact differential equations, integrating factor, orthogonal trajectories, homogeneous differential equations, variable separable equations, linear differential equations of second order with constant coefficients, the method of variation of parameters, Cauchy-Euler equation.
IIT JAM Maths Syllabus Pdf
- Vector Calculus: Scalar and vector fields, gradient, divergence, curl, line integrals, surface integrals, Green, Stokes and Gauss theorems.
- Group Theory: Groups, subgroups, Abelian groups, non-Abelian groups, cyclic groups, permutation groups, normal subgroups, Lagrange’s Theorem for finite groups, group homomorphisms and basic concepts of quotient groups.
- Linear Algebra: Finite dimensional vector spaces, linear independence of vectors, basis, dimension, linear transformations, matrix representation, range space, null space, rank-nullity theorem. Rank and inverse of a matrix, determinant, solutions of systems of linear equations, consistency conditions, Eigen values and eigenvectors for matrices, Cayley-Hamilton theorem.
- Real Analysis: Interior points, limit points, open sets, closed sets, bounded sets, connected sets, compact sets, completeness of R. Power series (of the real variable), Taylor’s series, radius and interval of convergence, term-wise differentiation and integration of power series.
JAM Mathematical Statistics Syllabus 2018
The Mathematical Statistics (MS) test paper comprises of Mathematics (40% weight age) and Statistics (60% weight age).
Mathematics. The IIT JAM Syllabus for Mathematical Statistics is as follows.
- Sequences and Series: Convergence of sequences of real numbers, Comparison, root and ratio tests for convergence of series of real numbers.
- Differential Calculus: Limits, continuity, and differentiability of functions of one and two variables. Rolle’s theorem, mean value theorems, Taylor’s theorem, indeterminate forms, maxima and minima of functions of one and two variables.
- Integral Calculus: Fundamental theorems of integral calculus. Double and triple integrals, applications of definite integrals, arc lengths, Areas, and Volumes.
- Matrices: Rank, Inverse of a matrix. Systems of linear equations. Linear transformations, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors. Cayley-Hamilton theorem, symmetric, skew-symmetric and orthogonal matrices.
- Statistics Probability: Axiomatic definition of probability and properties, conditional probability, multiplication rule. Theorem of total probability. Bayes’ theorem and independence of events.
- Random Variables: Probability mass function, probability density function and cumulative distribution functions, distribution of a function of a random variable. Mathematical expectation, moments and moment generating function. Chebyshev’s inequality.
IIT JAM Syllabus 2018
- Standard Distributions: Binomial, negative binomial, geometric, Poisson, hypergeometric, uniform, exponential, gamma, beta and normal distributions. Poisson and normal approximations of a binomial distribution.
- Joint Distributions: Joint, marginal and conditional distributions. Distribution of functions of random variables. Joint moment generating function. Product moments, correlation, simple linear regression. Independence of random variables.
- Sampling distributions: Chi-square, t and F distributions, and their properties.
- Limit Theorems: Weak law of large numbers. Central limit theorem (i.i.d. with finite variance case only).
- Estimation: Unbiasedness, consistency, and efficiency of estimators, Method of moments and method of maximum likelihood. Sufficiency, factorization theorem. Completeness, Rao-Blackwell, and Lehmann-Scheffe theorems, uniformly minimum variance unbiased estimators. Rao-Cramer inequality. Confidence intervals for the parameters of univariate normal, two independent Normal, and one parameter exponential distributions.
- Testing of Hypotheses: Basic concepts, applications of Neyman-Pearson Lemma for testing simple and composite hypotheses. Likelihood ratio tests for parameters of the Univariate normal distribution.
IIT JAM Physics Syllabus 2018 Pdf Download
- Mathematical Methods: Calculus of single and multiple variables, partial derivatives, Jacobian, imperfect and perfect differentials, Taylor expansion, Fourier series. Vector algebra, Vector Calculus, Multiple integrals, Divergence theorem, Green’s theorem, Stokes’ theorem. First order equations and linear second order differential equations with constant coefficients. Matrices and determinants, Algebra of complex numbers.
- Mechanics and General Properties of Matter: Newton’s laws of motion and applications, Velocity and acceleration in Cartesian, polar and cylindrical coordinate systems, uniformly rotating Frame, centrifugal and Coriolis forces, Motion under a central force, Kepler’s laws, Gravitational Law and field, Conservative and nonconservative forces. The system of particles, Center of mass, Equation of motion of the CM, conservation of linear and angular momentum, conservation of energy, variable mass systems. Elastic and inelastic collisions. Rigid body motion, fixed axis rotations, rotation and translation, moments of Inertia and products of Inertia, parallel and perpendicular axes theorem. Principal moments and axes. Kinematics of moving fluids, Equation of continuity, Euler’s equation, Bernoulli’s theorem.
- Oscillations, Waves, and Optics: Differential equation for the simple harmonic oscillator and its general solution. Superposition of two or more simple harmonic oscillators. Lissajous figures. Damped and forced oscillators, resonance. Wave equation, traveling and standing waves in one-dimension. Energy density and energy transmission in waves. Group velocity and phase velocity. Sound waves in media. Doppler Effect. Fermat’s Principle. The general theory of image formation. Thick Lens, thin Lens and lens combinations. Interference of light, optical path retardation. Fraunhofer diffraction. Rayleigh criterion and resolving power. Diffraction gratings. Polarization: linear, circular and elliptic polarization. Double refraction and optical rotation.
IIT JAM 2018 Physics Syllabus
- Electricity and Magnetism: Coulomb’s law, Gauss’s law. Electric field and potential. Electrostatic boundary conditions, Solution of Laplace’s equation for simple cases. Conductors, capacitors, dielectrics, dielectric polarization, volume and surface charges, Electrosta-energy. Biot-Savart law, Ampere’s law, Faraday’s law of electromagnetic induction, Self and mutual inductance. Alternating currents. Simple DC and AC circuits with R, L and C components. Displacement current, Maxwell’s equations, and plane electromagnetic waves, Poynting’s theorem, reflection, and refraction at a dielectric interface, transmission and reflection coefficients (normal incidence only). Lorentz Force and motion of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields.
- Kinetic theory, Thermodynamics: Elements of the kinetic theory of gases. Velocity distribution and Equipartition of energy. Specific heat of Mono-, di- and tri-atomic gases. Ideal gas, Vander-Waals gas, and the equation of state. Mean free path. Laws of thermodynamics. Zeroth law and concept of thermal equilibrium. First law and its consequences. Isothermal and adiabatic
processes. Reversible, irreversible and quasistatic processes. Second law and entropy. Carnot cycle. Maxwell’s thermodynamic relations and simple applications. Thermodynamic potentials and their applications. Phase transitions and Clausius-Clapeyron equation. Ideas of ensembles, MaxwellBoltzmann, Fermi-Dirac, and Bose-Einstein distributions.
IIT JAM Syllabus 2018 Pdf
- Modern Physics: Inertial frames and Galilean invariance. Postulates of special relativity. Lorentz transformations. Length contraction, time dilation. Relativistic velocity addition theorem, mass energy equivalence. Blackbody radiation, photoelectric effect, Compton effect, Bohr’s atomic model, X-rays. Wave-particle duality, Uncertainty principle, the superposition
principle, calculation of expectation values, Schrödinger equation and its solution for one, two and three-dimensional boxes. The solution of Schrödinger equation for the one-dimensional harmonic oscillator. Reflection and transmission at a step potential, Pauli exclusion principle. Structure of atomic nucleus, Mass, and binding energy. Radioactivity and its applications. Laws
of radioactive decay.
- Solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics: Crystal structure, Bravais lattices, and basis. Miller indices. X-ray diffraction and Bragg’s law; Intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors, Variation of resistivity with temperature. Fermi level. p-n junction diode, I-V characteristics, Zener diode and its applications, BJT: characteristics in CB, CE, CC modes. Single stage
amplifier, two stage R-C coupled amplifiers. Simple Oscillators: Barkhausen condition, sinusoidal oscillators. OPAMP and applications: Inverting and non-inverting amplifier. Boolean algebra: Binary number systems; conversion from one system to another system; binary addition and subtraction. Logic Gates AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR exclusive OR; Truth tables; Combination of gates; de Morgan’s theorem.
Download IIT JAM Question Papers
We have provided here the details regarding IIT JAM Syllabus Pdf only for the convenience purpose of the candidates. Our team will update here the further details of the exam soon after the official release. So, we suggest the aspirants stay tuned to our site entranceexams.io for Entrance Exams.